Hvalnes is a farm and a low headland at the foot of
Mt. East Horn, a precipitous, and a high gabbro and granophyre mountain. Its screes are devoid of vegetation and some gold, silver,
mercury, and other metals were discovered there. Many fishing outfits
were situated near Hvalnes in the past because of the nearness of
excellent fishing grounds. Many people from Northern Iceland stayed
there during the fishing season to earn their living and take their
catch back home.
The Hvalnes Cove became an authorized trading post in
1912 and the lighthouse on it was built in 1954. Algerian buccaneers
landed there in 1627, robbed and plundered, but could not find any
people, because everyone was busy working in the summer pastures.
Road # 1 lies across the very steep
screech slopes of Hvalnes and Thvotta. It was built in
1981 and up to that year the main road crossed high and
dangerous mountain passes where many accidents occurred,
especially during winter.
East Iceland Saga Trail