Illugastadir is an ancient estate and a church site in
the Fnjoska Valley. The churches there were dedicated to St. Nicolas
during the catholic period and the present church was built in
1860-1861. About a century later, it was thoroughly renovated. Its
pulpit dates back to 1683 and the two altarpieces are rather old.
estate was abandoned and in The Workers Trade Union of Northern Iceland
bought the property in 1966. Since then, many holiday houses have been
built there for its members. Lignite and fossils of plants and seashells
can be found in the nearby Selargil gully. The valley floor is covered
with thick deposits from the ice age and geologists have discovered
clear traces of a tertiary central volcano.