The hill Oskjuhlid is
an important link in the chain of open and green areas in the capital.
This chain starts with the pond Tjornin in the old centre of
town, continues over the Oskjuhlid, through the Fossvogur Valley, River
Ellidaar Valley and ends in the Heidmork Recreation Area.
hill reveals an interesting geological epoch of the late Ice Age and a
higher sea level 10000 years ago 43 m above the present.
Its structure is the so-called Reykjavik grey basalt created by
volcanic activity on the nearby moorland Mosfellsheidi.
Glaciers carved the landscape afterwards.
after the middle of the 20th century forestation was started
with birches, pines, spruces and aspens.
Now at least 135 species of plants grow there, 84 species of
birds have been spotted and 10 of them
During the resent years rabbits have been spotted in the slopes.
They seem to survive the winter near the hot water pipeline and
passers by throw them something to eat.
oldest historic remnants are related to farming and the shrub wood was
exploited for fuel and peat as well.
Several of the ruins on the hill remind of the Second World War.
The abandoned stone quarry reminds of the construction of the
harbour (1914-1918) and the quarrying was continued for the construction
work of the allied forces in the forties. On the top of the hill, one of
the capital’s landmarks, The Pearl, is standing.
It was opened in 1991. On
that same spot the people of the capital area celebrated the millennium
of the country’s inhabitancy in 1874.
SOUTHWEST ICELAND SAGA TRAILS
so-called Hot Brook was very popular day and night.
The outlet water from the 7 hot water tanks, which were
originally built in 1940, created it.
They were demolished in 1986-1987, when the new ones were built
and the revolving restaurant on top of them.
Now the outlet water of the present tanks is used to heat up a
seawater pond in the cove Nautholsvik, where some the Second World War
barracks are still standing. The
British forces built the domestic airport, hangars and the old tower in