was the first trading post of the East Skaftafell District.
It was established in 1861 and in 1897 a permanent post was
established at Hofn, where it still is nowadays.
The houses of Papos were used for the first boarding school of
the district during the period 1897-99.
were demolished except one, which was moved to Hofn and now houses the
Papos was situated on the Papa Cove and the entrance to the
sheltered harbour was only passable by small vessels.
Just south of the former trading post are ancient ruins, which
might be remains from the Irish hermits who stayed in the country to the
beginning of the Norse settlement.
(Saga trail South Iceland)