River Fljotaa has its sources in the northern
mountains of the Ogres’ Peninsula,
especially just south of the Lagheidi Moorland. It runs through the
Stifla Area, a unique valley, 2 km long and 1 km wide. Its northern
mouth is blocked by high mounds through which the river has broken. The
river then spills into Lake
Miklavatn and eventually into the cove Fljotavik. River Fljotaa is a
run off river and thus unreliable. Its drainage area is about 110 km².
people of the small fishing town Siglufiord started thinking about
harnessing the river rather early in the 20th century, and in
1935 the town council was permitted to build and operate a power station
on it and build a high voltage grid.
Power Station I.
The construction work started in 1942. A dam was
built in the gorge, 300 m above the river’s entrance of the mound area
Stifluholar. A 2,350 Hp (1,8 MW) Francis generator was installed, and
enough space was left for another one of the same size. During World
War II, construction work was disrupted, but the plant was inaugurated
March 29th 1945. The second generator was installed in August 1954 and the
combined generation was 3,2 MW.
Skeidfoss Power station II.
Further exploitation of River Fljotaa was
considered in the early sixties and a 1,7 MW plant was planned on River
Stora-Thvera. The construction work started in 1974. A 20 m long dam
with a salmon ladder was built of concrete and on both sides earth dams
and dykes were constructed. A 1 km long channel was excavated to supply
the main reservoir, and a 520 m long concrete pipe, 2 m in diameter, to
feed the generators A 85 m long steel pipe, also 2 m in diameter,
continues from the tower to the station house. The total drop of this
plant is about 30 m. It was inaugurated on October 20th 1976.
over the operation of both power plants on April 7th 1991
and immediately started restoration and much needed maintenance. Power
station II underwent a thorough reparation in 1995 and one year later it
was equipped with remote control instruments.