The former rectory at Saudanes stood in the
middle of the community until people started moving away because of the
fast changing economy of the country during the 20th century. The
Saudanes Parish was popular among the reverends because of its many
advantages, such as the eider colony, driftwood, the brown trout and
lake char catch and the seal hunting.
The old rectory was built of hewn stone in
1879-81 by two brothers living at Saudanes at the time for reverend
Vigfus Sigurdsson, who had served at Svalbard until he moved to Saudanes
in 1869. A large teak trunk found on the premices was used for the
out door entrance and several doors.
The house was occupied until 1955, when a
new rectory had been built. In 1989, the National Museum of
Iceland commenced the restoration of the house and during the summer of
2003, it was opened as a cultural tourist centre operated by the
community according to an agreement with the National Museum.