Thingeyrar were among the best and most prosperous
estates of the country. It possessed the rights to the great salmon
catch of River Vatnsdalsa and to the seal hunting by its estuaries.
The district parliament, Hunathing, was held there in ancient times,
but no proof of that has been unearthened yet. This assembly is not
mentioned after the monastery at Thingeyrar was established in 1133.
This monastery is claimed to be the first in the country, but
according to other sources, the first one was founded by an English
bishop at Baer in the Borgarfiord District.
stood there from the foundation of the monastery to this date. The
present church is one of the most remarkable churches of the country.
The farmer, also a Member of Parliament, built it during the period
1864-1877. The cost price was Ikr. 16.000.- and Asgeir, the farmer,
paid altogether Ikr. 10.000.- thereof.
The construction material was fetched to the
Nesbjorg Cliffs on the western side of Lake Hop and transported on
sledges across it during winter. After the foundation of the
monastery, Thingeyrar became one of the most important centres of
culture and education in Iceland. Many manuscripts of the old Sagas,
which are still preserved, were written there. The bubonic plague (the
black death) almost devastated the monastery and the farm around the
turn of the 14th century.
North Iceland Saga Trail