This is a cluster of farms situated on the highest
lying ground of the area in the Rangarvellir District. It was
surrounded by water and the cattle had to swim to its grazings. The
water was at least waist deep and it was difficult to get to the
meadows to make hay for the winter. In 1930 a dam, on which the road
is now, was built to prevent the river Djupos from eroding the land.
After that, the farmers started cultivation. They base their
livelihood mainly on potatoes. The first documented sources of Thykkvabaer
date back to 1220. They tell us about the first farm there
and fishing outfits along the coastline to the south. The first
primary school in the rural areas in Iceland was founded there in
Most people travelling on road # 1 tend to forget the well worth
detours to the south or north, when they are passing through.
(Saga trail South Iceland)