third coast guard vessel by the same name arrived in Iceland in 1951.
It was constructed in Aalborg in Denmark the same year.
In 1972 the superstructure was altered and modified and new
engines were installed. It
was the flagship of the Icelandic Coast Guard for a decade.
Its displacement is 693 tons and maximum speed 18 nautical miles.
It was used for coast guarding, sea rescue, ocean biological
research and other purposes. It
participated in all “Cod Wars” between Britain and Iceland.
1982-85 the ship lay docked because of engine failure and then sold to
The National Life-Saving Association of Iceland for the training of
sailors, fishermen, harbour pilots and other related purposes. It was renamed “Saebjorg” and served as a school ship until 1998. In September
1998 the vessel was sold to Arnar Sigurdsson after the NLSA bought
another school vessel, the former car ferry Akraborg.
It was docked in Husavik harbour for several years until it
was brought back to Hafnarfjordur harbour to serve as a
floating restaurant and a museum, which was continued for
some years. During that time many memoribilia on board
depicted its history and the cod wars. After
that it has been kept in Reykjavik harbour without any
useful purpose (2005).
Icelandic Coast Guard was established July the 1st 1926, and
the Icelandic government took over the operation of “Thor”.
It soon adopted the policy of operating three coast guard vessels
for the protection of the territorial waters and the vessels “Odinn”
and “Aegir” were purchased.
the Second World War the watching of the territorial waters was not
necessary and the coast guard vessels were chartered for the transport
of fish, passengers and other purposes. After the war, foreign fishing vessels returned and the fleet
of the Coast Guard was increased. Minesweeping
was added to its tasks.
the first four years of the Icelandic Coast Guard, it was under the
supervision of the Ministry of Justice. The Icelandic State Shipping Authority took over until 1952,
when the Icelandic Coast Guard became an independent state authority.
In 1955 the Coast Guard received its first aircraft and in 1965
the first helicopter.
operation of the Icelandic Coast Guard has always been varied.
It took over the operation of the lighthouse vessel “Arvakur”,
supported ocean biographical research and geological research in
connection with the Surtsey eruption (1963-67).
The development and tasks of the Icelandic Coast Guard have
changed much after the fishing limits were extended to 200 nautical
miles. The staff and crews
of the vessels are obliged to carry out law enforcement and assist or
foreign and domestic fishing vessels honour the law and regulations
concerning the fishing limits and the temporarily protected areas within
them. The complexity of the
ever increasing protection measures for an increasing number of fishing
areas sometimes lead to clashes and misunderstanding, and it has become
the role of the Coast Guard to interpret the law and prevent such
incidents. The Icelandic
Coast Guard is responsible for the inspection of the equipment and gear
of the fishing vessels, rescuing their crews, the transport of sick or
maimed sailors and fishermen. It
also operates well-equipped aircraft for coast guard and ambulance
ICELANDIC COAST GUARD VESSELS
Coast Guard vessel Baldur
Coast Guard vessel Odinn
Coast Guard vessel Tyr
Coast Guard vessel Agir
Coast Guard vessel Thor