Thingeyinga was the first co-operative society in Iceland to be
established at this farm in 1882. The National Museum has taken
care of the houses since 1968. Some stables and sheds have also
Thvera also served the parish with its church, which was then the
private property of ther farmers.
The church was built in 1878 of hewn hyaloclastite rock blocks (tuff;
moberg) as well as the wall surrounding it. These blocks were
cemented togeather with mortar. The church is 8,5 metres long
and 5 metres wide, and seats 60 persons. The altar piece was
painted by Arngrimur Gislason.
One of the most renowned angling rivers of the country, Laxa in
Adaldalur, the discharge of Lake Myvatn, runs throught the valley,
which is well vegetated and fertile. It is also well known for
its avifauna. Below the farmstead is an ancient ford, which was
much used by travellers.