Tungnaaroraefi is the area between the rivers Skafta and Kaldakvisl to the west of the glacier snout Tungnarjokull. It is mostly barren and desolate with low hyaloclastite mountains, sanded lava fields and crater rows. It is very volcanically active and parts of its landscapes are very young. The Trollahraun Lava Field was created in the late 19th century and the lovely Lakes Veidivotn Area in the late 15th century. River Tungnaa discharges the glacier tongue. This river was a difficult obstacle until the ford Hofsvad in Svartikrokur was discovered in 1950, and 18 years later, the first bridge was built at Sigalda. The farmers of the Land County drove their sheep across the river at the Bjallavad ford until they started using boats to ferry them across until the bridge was built.
The glacier snout Tungnarjokull between the Mt. Kerlingar and Mt. Tungnaarfjoll burst in 1996-97 and its edge stacked up and became impassable for the vehicles used for the yearly research expeditions. The Glaciological Society owns the two huts at Jokulheimar and the Icelandic Tourist Association another one in the Veidivotn Area on lake Tjaldvatn.