During catholic times, Uthlid’s churches were dedicated to Holy Mary, and were annexed to the parsonage at Torfastadir by law in 1880. After the church was totally damaged by a storm in 1936, services took place at the Uthlid farm.
The present church is modern and beautiful. It was designed by the farmer’s (Bjorn Sigurdsson) brother to commemorate his late wife, Agusta Olafsdottir, who died in the autumn of 2004.
Farm Uthlid was first named the Outer Hlid and was a church site in the Biskupstungur County. The first farmer was Asgeir Ulfsson, the son in law of Ketilbjorn the Old of Mosfell. His son was Chieftain Geir, who lived there as well. His burial mound is somewhere near the farm and the ruins of a pagan temple are still visible. Near them is a concave boulder, which probably was used for the blood of the animal offerings.
Photo Credit: Jóna Þórunn