Arnarstapi is a fishing hamlet at the foot of the low Mt. Stapafell on the southern side of the Snaefellsnes peninsula. According to the Bardar-Saga, this mythological person, half a man and half an ogre, lived in a cave in the northern slopes of this mountain. The lighthouse of Arnarstapi was built in 1941. Arnarstapi was an important trading post in the past. The cliffs along the coastline are occupied by myriads of birds, kittiwakes, fulmars and razorbills and many others nest in the area.
There is quite a large arctic tern colony in the village itself. A walk along the coastline is recommended to watch the birds and the magnificent lava formations. Three blowholes, connected with the sea, open up on the way. When the wind is blowing hard from southerly directions they create fountains of ocean water, and then its not advisable to stand too near.
People from all over the world, believers in the energy radiation of Mt. Snaefellsjokull, gather in the area every summer to recharge their “batteries” and rock crystals. An interesting hiking trail connects two fishing hamlets, Hellnar and Arnarstapi. From Arnarstapi people also hike to the top of the glacier or all the way to the fishing village Olafsvik on the northern side of the peninsula.
Snjofell ltd offers snowmobile and snow scooter tours on the glacier.
Photo Credit: Visit West Iceland