NAT

DRESSING UP!

Our website is currently going through a massive make over to make your visit even more enjoyable. During this period minor inconveniences may occur. For more information or contact: Click HERE

Braedratunga Church Farm

About Braedratunga

Braedratunga is a manor and a church site on the tongue of land between the rivers Hvita and Tungufljot in the Southwestern Lowlands.

In the Icelandic Sagas, Landnamabok, says that Eyfrod the old claimed land between Hvita and Tungufljot. Some of the major rulers of the country ranging from century of commonwealth and for centuries thereafter were involved. Asgrim Ellidagrimsson, mentioned in Njalssaga, lived there. Flosi Thordarson from Svínafell in Oraefum probably came to visit him; as the trad down to the river Hvita is still called Flosatrad.

For a time lived in Braedratunga Gissur THorvaldsson. Gisli Hakonarson (1583-1631), a lawyer also lived there the first half of the 17th century. He was considered one of the most popular rulers of the country and was stepfather of Thorlakur Skulason, bishop to Skalholt. Helga Magnúsdóttir, his stepdaughter, lived there long after she had lost her husband. She played a major role in the sagas of Brynjolfur Sveinsson and his daughter, Ragnheidur.

Its documentation and records of its occupants and of everyday life in the past are among the primary sources for of the Halldor Kiljan Laxnes’ novel “The Iceland Bell.” Laxnes is Iceland’s Nobel Prize Winner for literature and this novel is probably his most popular and widely read work domestically and elsewhere.

Braedratunga is on the Saga trail for South Iceland.