Golf Club Hella was founded in 1952. Its 9 hole golf course was originally on the property of Gaddastadir on river Ytri Ranga until 1958, when it had to be moved to make room for regular horse tournaments. It was not until 1970, that a new golf course was constructed on the property of farm Strond, where it is still located.
The town Hella started developing before the middle of the 20th century, when most of the rivers in the southwestern lowlands had been bridged. The town offers a good hotel and cottages on the river banks, restaurants and all kinds of recreational opportunities,