Golf Club Nordfjordur was established on May 8th 1965. Its permanent golf course is Graenanesbakkar. In 1999 it was improved greatly by two new courses and a new club house.
This village on the northern side of bay Nordjordur became an authorized trading post in 1895 and the village started developing around it. Until 1949, when the road from Eskifjordur was built across the mountains, the inhabitants relied mainly on sea transport.