This former manor is situated just south of the village Hofsos. The prayer chapel, which still stands there, was abolished on a royal order in 1765. After that it was used for many purposes, mainly as a tool shed. In 1953, it was restored and reconsecrated by the bishop of Iceland. It is now in the care of the National Museum.
One of the greatest clergymen and poets of the country, Hallgrimur Petursson (1614-1674), was born there. During the 17th and 18th centuries, Grof was the abode of the widows of the bishops of Holar.
North Iceland Saga Trail