This church belongs to the Saurbaer benefice in the Borgarfiord deanery. It was consecrated in 1957 to commemorate one of the most beloved poets of the country, who lived in the 17th century, and was named after him. The stained windowpanes are the work of the artist Gerdur Helgadottir, who sought inspiration in the Hymns of Passion of Rev. poet Hallgrimur Petursson, when she made them.
The Finnish artist Lennart Segerstraale was responsible for the fresco altarpiece. The crucifix on the altar probably dates back to the turn of the 15th century and decorated Rev. Hallgrim’s church in the 17th century. The other memorial church of Rev. Hallgrimur is the largest and most prominent one of the country, standing on a hilltop in the capital.
Photo Credit: TommyBee