NAT

<- ->


HILLEBRANDTS HOUSE BLONDUOS

Region: North Iceland
Coordinates: 65.6600925° N 20.2796587° W

Hillebrandt’s house is the country’s oldest building.  It was built in 1733 in Skagastrond and moved to Blondu os in 1878.  There it was totally restored in the year 2000 and used for various exhibitions.  From 2006 till 2016 the house had a exhibition dedicated to the sea ice and its effects on life in the arctic regions depicted with photos, texts, and artefacts.

Blonduos on the large bay Hunafloi is an ideal location for such a museum.  The bay usually was the first to be filled with the ice floes from Greenland.  Nowadays, large icebergs are seen every now and then on the bay during summer.  The ice floes also brought with them polar bears, and the bay was named after their cubs.

Links in HILLEBRANDTS HOUSE BLONDUOS