There are many man made caves in the Southwestern Lowlands. Behind the ruins of the old farm at Seljaland is a rocky mound with three caves. The largest one is inscribed with crucifixes, initials, and words from the middle ages. The opening through its roof is most probably also man made.
Around the turn of the 19th century its opening was closed with wooden boards and it was used as a shed. Just west of it is a smaller one, called Stuka, where there is an automatic watering system. East of the main cave is a small cave, separated from it by a thin rock wall with an opening. Still further east in the meadows is a cave called Thrasahellir, where lambs were kept during the extremely cold winter in 1882. In the northern foothills of the mountain shoulder Seljalandsmuli is still another cave, The Kverkarhellir cave, an official assembly place for the East- Eyjafjoll County during the period 1872-1895. During winter, it was used as a sheep shed.
The Seljaland Caves are on the Saga trail for South Iceland.