Seydisfjordur is a fishing and tourist town. It received its municipal rights in 1895. One of the biggest fish meal factories of the country is operated there.
A few Norwegians settled on Reydarfjordur in the latter part of the 19th century and built many of the still standing and beautiful Norwegian/Swiss houses. They lend the town the atmosphere of the best preserved old town centre dating back to the turn of the 19th century. The oldest telephone and telegraph station of Iceland dates back to 1906, when the first ocean cable was laid from Scotland. During World War II, the allied forces built a big military camp on the fjord and on its bottom lies the oil freighter El Grillo, which sank during a German air raid.
The Faroese ferry company, The Smyril Line, operates the car ferry Norrona at least during summer to transport visitors to Iceland and enable the natives to use their vehicles on the European continent.
Photo Credit: Ira Goldstein